DRAFT for review Learning Commons Mission
In support of UMass Dartmouth’s academic mission, the Learning Commons creates and cultivates a vibrant, welcoming and integrated learner-centered environment.
We will do so by promoting an environment and support team that
- inspires learners and fosters learning as an activity
- embodies and supports engagement & collaboration for individual & group work
- champions and supports the research process from search and discovery to synthesis and presentation.
- provides easily accessible and adaptable physical spaces and resources
- excels at providing rich technological facilities, instruction, and support
- maximizes individual and group productivity by integrating scholarly information support services and information literacy instruction
December 5, 2007 – Robert F. Stoico/FIRSTFED Grand Reading Room Gift Announced – Robert F. Stoico, founder of The Robert F. Stoico / FIRSTFED Charitable Foundation announces $1 million gift to UMass Dartmouth. The university plans to invest $750,000 of its gift in the physical renovation of the Claire T. Carney Library and establish the Robert F. Stoico/FIRSTFED Grand Reading Room. The Grand Reading Room will be a stately, dynamic and spacious two-story room with an ambience that promotes intellectual richness, purpose and inspiration. It will have floor to ceiling windows that will provide spectacular views of the campus in all seasons, and be a place easily changed to accommodate small or large groups of people who are working together.
Please check the Library Building Renovation & Expansion Program page on the the Claire T. Carney Library web site for further updates and more information on the library’s renovation plans.